Being a "World Musician" brings me in contact with many social and cultural phenomena.
In the US, being classified as a world musician brings me into contact with several social realities. I am increasingly aware of the demographics that sustain my chosen musical genre.
- It has been determined that world music followers are primarily people who have a college education.
- People with a college education are more likely to have been exposed to other cultures.
- Most world music format radio shows are on college campuses.
- Most world music in the United States is performed in university concert halls.
- This audience would also tend to be mostly female since upwards of 60-70% of all college students in America are female.
What that means to me is; the African-American audience for world music should be expected to be extremely low. It also suggests that a male African-American is much less likely to be a world music fan that all others.
Maybe I need to prepare a marketing plan for basketball & football players.